What is Transitions?
High Country Transitions provides volunteer and case management services to individuals with a life-limiting illness and their families.
What do Transitions services include?
- Social Worker : The coordinator will assess the clients needs (ex. transportation, meal preparations, medical equipment, etc.) and help find and coordinate resources to meet those needs.
- Volunteer Support: Volunteers can provide respite breaks for caregivers, help with daily living activities and provide companionship.
Who is eligible for Transitions services?
- Individuals with a life limiting illness with a probable prognosis of 1 year or less
- Clients can be receiving active treatment or comfort care for the life limiting illness
- The primary physician must consent to Transitions services
- Individual must live in Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Watauga orWilkesCounties
Where can Transitions services be provided?
Transitions can be provided in a client’s home, assisted living facilities, nursing homes and the hospital.
How can Transitions help?
- By providing support when discharged from Hospice care
- By providing support before, during and after medical treatment or hospitalization
- By providing respite breaks for caregivers
- By providing help with activities of daily living
- By providing bereavement support to client and family
How much do Transitions services cost?
Transitions is provided at no charge to all those eligible. Funding is provided through community donations and support.
What are the main differences between Hospice & Transitions?
- Transitions does not offer nursing or any other medical services
- Transitions patients can be seeking curative treatment while receiving services
- Transitions patients can have a prognosis of 1 year or less
- Transitions services are completely free and no insurance information is needed
What if a Transitions patient needs Hospice services?
Transitions services cannot be provided while a patient is receiving hospice care. However, when a Transitions client chooses High Country Hospice, the client can continue to use the same volunteer they had in the Transitions program. The Transitions coordinator will discuss Hospice services with the Transitions client when the time is right.
How do I refer to Transitions?
- Provide potential client with Transitions brochure
- Fill our referral sheet and give to Office Assistant
For more information on
Dayna Price at 336-246-0113 or
1-877-787-5730 (toll free).
If you are interested in being a Volunteer for the Transitions Program, please contact Dayna at 336-246-0113 and/or download the Volunteer Form . Thank you for your support.